Friday, August 31, 2007

Weekend at Windsor



I arrived in England on Saturday, July 22. That first day I went straight from Heathrow to Windsor Castle - a decision I was so happy to have made. Even though I was tired and *gasp* alone, I was rewarded with some great experiences. First of all, I recommend watching the BBC production entitled "Windsor Castle: A Royal Year".
I had watched all 4 installments prior to going to the castle, and it made the visit even more amazing. I knew that the yellow and red flag flying over the castle meant that the Queen was in residence the day I was there! I knew too that there was a changing of the guard which was much less crowded and just as filled with tradition and those red uniforms with tall black hats. Saw it!! I was also excited to visit St. George's chapel and see the grave markers of Henry VIII as well as many former big wigs who had a lot of money to buy themselves a plot in the church. There is also a room filled where Elizabeth II's family is buried - her mom, dad and sister, (and eventually herself?)


After touring the castle I enjoyed the ultimate English respite - cream tea!! The place: the crooked teahouse in Windsor http://www.crooked-house.com/. Crooked refers to the lean of the house, under which exists a secret passage to the castle. Many have speculated what this secret passage was for - every theory has been suggested, from midnight lovers' rendezvous to a way to transport supplies to the kitchen. The tea was good, the scones and clotted cream were great!!! I will admit that by the time I rolled into Oxford I was pretty exhausted. But I was greeted by a room with a view - yay!!!

No comments: